I figured I should update with my progress so far. My awesome [experienced] neighbor came over again yesterday, and we looked at why it didn’t start up after the new solennoid.
We now think the solenoid wasnt the problem, but the problem is still electrical. We bypassed the safety switches and the engine spun! But with the safety switches, it won’t turn. So Saturday him and I are heading down to a shop to pick up new safety switches and a new ignition, just incase.
Also, we discovered that it has way too much oil in it, and...I’m not sure how that happened. Before winter hit, I checked the oil, it was bone dry. I added some myself, and I thought it was at the proper level on the dipstick. Regardless, it’s three times the necessary level currently, so I need to perform my first ever oil change on it.
Along with that, he says to add Marvels Mystery oil down the spark plugs again, for good measure.
I also showed him my trimmer, which I’m also having trouble with, and he confirmed what I thought. I figured it needed a new carb and I was right. So that’s another item I need to buy.
Whenever he looked at the stuff, I paid close attention, trying to soak in as much as I could. Primarily what is wrong or could be wrong, and the necessary fixes for it. I took a particular note on the wires and the colors they were. I know it’s not the same from mower to mower, but the basics I’d like to get down. I’m learning, and that’s what’s important, :).